Friday, April 10, 2015

Adventure to Asia: Vietnam Pt. 1

Tuesday, July 29: Ho Chi Mihn City (Saigon)

Most of the day was spent taking a bus from Phonm Pehn to Vietnam. The border crossing was really confusing, and it felt like we were standing for a long time while they had our passports. However, it was not as scary or brutal as crossing into Cambodia from Thailand! We were really confused on where to go when we finally got to Ho Chi Mihn. We stayed on with other foreigners because we had no idea where our stop was. Finally, someone asked in English where we were going and we told them what District. We talked with the others with us and finally they just let us out on the street. Luckily, we had a map and our hostel was just a minute walk.

We were placed in one room for the night because our other room was taken. We would move to another room the next day for the remainder of our stay. It was a 6 person room but we had it to ourselves because we paid for a two person room. It was a cute room. The hostel family was SO nice. They made you feel at home and watched out for you like you were there own. The girl who took care of us showed us a map and highlighted places we should see on our visit. 

After we dropped off our stuff we headed to the ATM, and then we ate at a place that served pho that she recommended. Plus, you have to eat pho while you're in Vietnam! We walked around a bit and then we headed back. I ended up taking a nap for a while. I had a fear of going out at night because I heard so many stories of people being pick-pocketed. Unfortunately, that kept me from enjoying Vietnam a bit.

Wednesday, July 30: Ho Chi Mihn City (Saigon)
Jillian and I went on a tour of the Cu Chi Tunnels. We were picked up by our tour guide, and we were placed on a bus with others taking the tour. Our tour guide was so funny and we were cracking up at his jokes. The Cu Chi Tunnels were dug by the Vietnamese during the Vietnam War so the tour was basically showing some of the tunnels and different traps they would use. We got to walk through one of the tunnels which was made larger for the purpose of tours. It was scary though and definitely not something you want to do if you are claustrophobic! I got out before the part that got really tight and made you crawl on your stomach. I couldn't do it! After the tour we stopped and ate raw tapioca and drank tea like they would do in the tunnels. Did you know tapioca is a root like potatoes? I did not, and I love tapioca pudding!
After the tour we headed to our room for a little bit then when we got hungry we headed back out. After two weeks of what felt like nonstop travel we needed to rest. We went to another restaurant that our hostel recommended called Kim Restaurant. Then we decided to kill some time by going to the art museum. We got lost trying to find it because our map was a little different than the streets. I stopped and asked a security guard at a McDonalds. He didn't speak English, but he was able to help us find the museum. The museum itself was very pretty, but my favorite part was the view of the city from the windows. I'm a sucker for a good city view.

We got to the museum late so we just managed to see all of the main art work, but we didn't have time to go to the other buildings. We decided to get some bubble tea on our way back. When we sat down there was an older foreign man talking to three young girls. We kept an eye on him because my sister said the situation seemed like one where he would try to get them back into his hotel room. The whole situation was creepy because there was no need for him to talk to these young girls who had to be about 13 or 14. I think he knew we were watching him because he kept looking back at us and smiling. When the girls got up to leave he left with them and Jillian and I followed. We lost track of him, but we are pretty sure the girls were safe.

Post a Comment

© Tiny Sputniks. Design by Fearne.