Sunday, November 16, 2014

Adventure to Asia: Thailand Pt. 1

Saturday, July 17: Bangkok, Thailand
When we landed in Thailand we took a taxi to the train station where we spent the entire day. We met some travelers, ate, and walked around. I was really nervous to walk around, but I followed once my sister took the lead. There was a huge temple that we visited and, of course, I left my camera in my bag so I only took pictures on my phone. We left Bangkok at 10 that night and took the train to Chiang Mai. The train was noisy and bright. I did manage to sleep a little bit, but it was not good sleep.

Sunday, July 18: Chiang Mai, Thailand
We got to Chiang Mai around 1 pm and we took showers right away because we hadn't done so in 2 days. After I ended up falling asleep. It was nice having someone with me who was used to the time difference because she would wake me up at night which helped me adjust quicker. Around 8 Jillian woke me up and we went to the Sunday Night Market, which is one of the more popular attractions in Chiang Mai. Out of all the markets we went to this was my favorite. There was a lot to look at and good food. We spent a few hours then headed back to the hostel.
Monday, July 21: Chiang Mai, Thailand
The previous day we signed up for a cooking class (Da's Organic Farm Hut), so we got up early to meet our ride. A man named Da and his driver picked us up and first took us to the market to pick up ingredients to tell us about some of the local products. He also bought us some fruit and fried bananas for us to try. Always try fried bananas in Thailand. They are so good!
He then took us to his farm where he hold his classes. Since we went to the morning session it was just the two of us which was actually ideal. Plus, you make your food just in time for lunch! When we got to the farm we were greeted by his adorable dog. Jillian and I love dogs so we spent time petting it and helping ourselves to tea. Then he showed us some of the fruits and herbs he had growing on his farm. Unfortunately, my battery died and my replacement was back by the kitchen so I didn't get many pictures of the crops.
After he showed us around we started making our FIVE dishes. It was awesome, but so much food. I made sticky rice for one of them and he used a flower to dye it blue. We spent some time cooking each dish, but it was really cool to go through the process and it wasn't too complicated to do either. When we were done he left us alone to eat. I was actually starting to feel really sick towards the end and by the time we were eating I couldn't stand and I wanted to throw up. Then it just passed and I was fine. I couldn't even finish my food because there was just so much!
At the end we took a picture with him and said good-bye to the dog. He gave us both recipe books with all the recipes he offered not just the ones we chose. I have yet to make anything but soon I'm going to make that sticky rice because it was so good!


© Tiny Sputniks. Design by Fearne.